Chromebook for the Project Tiger- In a collaboration with Google by Wikipedia - Blogs by Sangram Keshari Senapati

Monday 26 March 2018

Chromebook for the Project Tiger- In a collaboration with Google by Wikipedia

Project Tiger is a collaboration project of Wikipedia with Google to improve the articles of Indic Wikipedia projects like Odia, Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali, Panjabi, etc. For this project, Google would help the writer by donating Internet charges for 3 months and Laptops to 50 volunteers. And within these 3 months (March, April & May), those who write the highest articles with the proper guidelines would be awarded by 3000 rupees and the lowest two others would get 2000 and 1000 accordingly.

So, I've applied for a laptop, so that I could contribute more than as usual. I must thank Sailesh Patnaik for guiding me to apply for the laptop. After verifying all the applied lists, the final result had out and my username "ssgapu22" was on the 33rd number with other 4 Odia Wikipedia friends.

On 16th March, I got an e-mail from Tito da to submit the address to get the laptop. So, I've submitted the address of my PG, where I'm staying right now in Bangalore. After 30 minutes, he pinged me on Facebook and called me to the office. So, I could receive the laptop directly.

So, I reached there at the CIS-A2K office to receive the laptop. There were Tanveer, Gopala, and Tito da and later Ananth joined us. I met them at Mysore for TTT 2018. It was like a reunion with them. After a short conversation with Ravi, I unboxed the laptop and Tito da did the live telecast on Facebook. But in the video, I was looking very bad, but somehow they tolerate that.



In that box, there was an Acer Chromebook. I had experience with the Windows operating system and Linux OS, but this was a little different. Since this has the Chrome browser only and all are available online. So, Tito da described some about the Chromebook to me.


Now, I must say something about this laptop. It doesn't have any hard disk drive so we couldn't store the movies. So, all the time we hold it must work and all those works could be done online. So we could focus more on Wikipedia works. The power backup is outstanding, around 10 to 12 hours. So, power failure doesn't affect the work. And yes, with a short update of Chrome OS, the Google Playsote activated so we could download the play store apps directly.

By getting this laptop, I started working on this and all those online works are done easily. Previously, when I was using other laptops, the works took longer than as usual since the slow processing, but here that problem avoided. Finally, this laptop would definitely help me for the Wikipedia works. Since I'm working on 1WikiYear in Odia Wikipedia and Wikisource on a particular subject. So, after completing those works I have to write an article for the Project Tiger from the list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment